A Big Hello From David Denton!

• September 14, 2018 at 9:09 am #203
    David Denton
    Participant

I’ve been on YouTube for a few years now but I’ve only started creating videos with any consistency (weekly at the moment) for the past six months. This has all been down to the support of Larry Williams. He gave me the impetus to put a serious amount of time into video creation and I’ve been thrilled to discover this supportive artist community as a result.

I make videos that show the process behind my art, tutorials, shout outs and interpretations of my paintings. Some are serious (the ones about my experience of mental health) whereas most have some comedy value (the ones with Ghost Cow and a dancing marionette called Mary).

My channel can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidDentonArt

And my website at: https://www.daviddentonart.com

Here’s my artist statement:

Mental health is a difficult subject for many people, including myself, to talk about. So I decided to paint about it instead.

I create images that illustrate different facets of mental health issues in order to raise awareness and educate.

For eighteen years, I taught infant children in various schools around the country. I decided to change careers five years ago due to a severe work/life imbalance. Since leaving teaching, I have been putting increasing amounts of effort into my art work to the point where it felt that painting professionally full-time was the natural thing to do.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety since my late teens. I’ve drawn on my experiences of these mental health issues to create personal and evocative images. I take an initial idea and then allow my subconscious to generate links through the use of free association. Using this approach, I create atmospheric art which is engaging and thought-provoking. I chose a traditional painting style rather than digital because of the personal content of the art.

I live in the UK in Doncaster and use elements from the local area in my work. My influences are many and varied. I draw on ideas and images from the surrealism movement, cult films and the stories of H.P. Lovecraft.

So it’s a big hello from me, and I’m looking forward to seeing this website grow and to meeting lots of lovely new people πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.